Taxpayers usually consider that return filing process is completed once the return is e-filed and ITR-V is received. But it is not so, return filing process is completed, only after ITR-V is verified. Here are some FAQ’s that one should consider after filing of income tax return.
1. What is an ITR-V?
ITR-V stands for ‘Income Tax Return - Verification’ form. This form is received when you e-file your Income-tax return. Income-tax Department verifies your submission and in return gives the ITR-V as acknowledgement of filing.
2. Is it mandatory to send ITR-V to CPC, Bangalore?
Yes, ITR-V should be sent to CPC within 120 days of filing your Income-tax return. Otherwise, return filing process is not complete and it will be considered that you have not filed your return at all. However, this is only for those assessees who have not signed through digital signature or those who have not adopted for any of the verification methods introduced by the Government.
Note - Signing through digital signature means signing ITR-V electronically.
3. What is the procedure to send ITR-V to CPC, Bangalore?
After filing your return, ITR-V is generated. You can get the same by logging on to www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. Following are the steps you need to follow to send ITR-V to CPC, Bangalore:
- Download the same and it will prompt for a password. Password is your Pan (in lowercase) and your Date of Birth in dd-mm-yy format. (E.g.- aaapa1234a05091968 )
- Print two copies of ITR-V in A4 size paper. One for your own record and one for sending it to CPC, Bangalore.
- Sign in Blue Ink on the copy you have to send and keep it in A4 size envelope without any folds and send the same via ordinary post or speed post within 120 days of filing your income tax return.You cannot private courier your ITR-V. Also , you cannot send any supporting documents with your ITR-V.
Address: Centralized Processing Center, Income Tax Department, Bengaluru 560500.
4. What are the different e-verification methods introduced by the Government in order to avoid sending physical copy of ITR-V to CPC, Bangalore?
Income tax department has introduced electronic verification code method for verifying a person’s identity while filing the income tax return online. Here, return filing will be treated as complete by completing the verification method. The different verification methods introduced by the Government are as follows:
- Aadhaar number
- Login through Net Banking facility of the person
- Digital Signature
- Mobile OTP (One time pin)
One of the above methods can be availed by a person filing its income tax return online to avoid sending a physical copy of ITR-V to Bangalore.
5. How to check whether CPC has received the sent ITR-V or not?
You can check status of ITR-V receipt by CPC Bangalore online at www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. If your ITR-V has not been marked as received after 10 days, you can call 1800 103 4455 - CPC helpline from 8AM to 8 PM.
6. What if, the ITR-V is not submitted within 120 days after e-filing (in case I do not digitally sign or do not opt of any method of e-verification)?
If you miss submitting your ITR-V within 120 days(or extended Due Date as notified by Income-tax Department), your e-filing will be considered as null and void. It means that it will be considered that you have not yet filed your return. In such case, you need to file a revised return and submit a fresh signed ITR-V to CPC, Bangalore. The revised return will be considered as Original return.
7. What to do if the submitted ITR-V gets rejected by the CPC, Bangalore?
When the ITR-V receipt status shows “ITR-V Rejected”, click on the acknowledgement number and you will be able to see the reason for rejection. If you see a message that says "Filing date has exceeded the due date", that means you haven't signed and sent your ITR-V acknowledgement to CPC-Bangalore within 120 days of e-Filing.
You should first see the reason why your ITR-V was rejected. If it was a small error you can correct it and resend your ITR-V. However, in case you haven't signed and sent you ITR-V within 120 days, then revise your return and send the revised ITR-V to CPC, Bangalore.
8. If the Original e-return is invalid because of non-receipt of ITR-V, can the Original return be filed once again?
If the Original Return has been rejected at CPC due to any of the following reason:
Case I: 120 days period (with extension, if any) has not elapsed – The assessee is required to send a signed copy of ITR-V again to "Centralized Processing Center, Income Tax Department, Bengaluru 560500" by ordinary post or speed post only.
Case II: 120 days period (with extension, if any) has elapsed: The assessee is required to file a revised return, however, the revised return filed now will be treated as Original return.
9. Can name and address be changed after e-filing of Income tax return?
Once a return is filed (submitted to Income-tax Department) and acknowledgment is generated, it cannot be reverted back. However, you can file a revised return to correct the original return. A fresh return will get generated with new acknowledgment number. You will have to submit the ITR-V again to the CPC, Bangalore.
Article is closed for comments.