“Electronic Verification Code” is a code generated by the Income-tax Department for electronic verification of identity of the person filing the Income-tax Return.
The EVC can be used by a Verifier being an Individual to verify his Income-tax Return or that of an HUF of which he is the Karta in Income-tax Return Form 1, 2, 3 or 4 or the Income-tax Return Form filed in ITR 5 or 7 of any person in accordance with Section 140 of the Income-tax Act, 1961.
If you are not able to e-verify ITR-V and wish to post it, then read this article.
Below are the ways to e-verify the Income-tax return:
- If your total Income is above Rs. 5 lakhs or you have a refund to claim, you need to e-verify through your Net Banking account.
- If your total Income is less than Rs. 5 lakhs and there is no refund to claim, you can receive "EVC" through E-mail ID and Mobile Number.
- E-verify through Bank ATM.
- E-verify through Aadhaar OTP.
- E-verify through Demat Account Number.
1. E-verify through Net Banking
(a) Check whether you fall under eligible Banks for this purpose or not from here:
Click on your Bank Name and login (we have taken SBI as example).
(b) Find out option to login in e-filing website and enter the e-filing portal.
(c) Click on e-Verify link.
(d) Click on "Continue" button to confirm e-Verify process.
(e) You will get a confirmation message. No further action required afterwards.
2. E-verify through E-mail ID and Mobile Number
(a) From the top menu, select "Generate EVC" under the section "My Account".
(b) Now go to "My Account" >> "e-Verify Return"
(c) Click on Option 1 to enter the EVC received and e-verify your return.
(c) You will get a confirmation message. No further action required afterwards.
3. E-verify through Bank ATM
Swipe your ATM card in Bank ATM>>Click on PIN for e-filing
(a) You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number.
(b) Login to e-filing portal & select option to e-verify return using your Bank ATM.
(c) Enter your EVC on e-filing portal >>Verified.
4. E-verify through Aadhaar OTP
Go to e-filing portal >> Generate OTP >> Enter OTP received on registered mobile number >> Return will get verified.
5. E-verify through Demat Account Number
(a) Go to e-filing portal >> Pre validate your DEMAT account number
(b) Validate your DEMAT account number >> Click on e-verify link
(c) Select option to e-verify using DEMAT account details >> Generate OTP
(d) Enter your EVC on e-filing portal >> Verified