If your employer has refused to allow HRA benefit, you can claim deduction for amount of Rent paid for your accommodation U/s 80GG provided the following conditions are fulfilled:
- You are a salaried person and you have not claimed any HRA benefit during the year in which you are claiming deduction under section 80GG.
- You or your spouse or your minor child or HUF of which you are a member – do not own any other residential accommodation at the place where you currently reside or carry on business or profession.
- In case you own any residential property at any place, for which your Income from house Property is calculated under applicable sections (as a self occupied property), no deduction under section 80GG is allowed.
- You must have filled a declaration in form 10BA with details for payment of rent.
Rent Deduction Calculation under Section 80GG:
The amount which you can claim under Section 80GG will be the least of the following :
- Rent paid minus 10 percent the adjusted total income.
- Rs 5,000 per month.
- 25 percent of the adjusted total income.